Tuesday 2 June 2009

Prima Invictus

I've just got back from a real slugfest against Jim at G3. He was testing out a variation of his eKrueger list against my standard eMagnus list - I was supposed to make a super list of DOOOM using his Khador stuff but quickly realised the eKrueger *hoses* ranged armies. No feated widowmakers of mighty uberness for me.

Now for the amazing news: I won. No really, I just added up the VPs.
Me: 8 VPs!
Woldwarden x2 - 6 VPs
Tharn Ravager Shaman - 1 VP
Tharn Ravagers 50% casualties - 1 VP
Also ended game with more VPs in TEH ZONE of No Man's Land, but really Jim had stopped playing the scenario after turn 2.

Jim: 5 VPs
eEiryss - 1 VP
Stannis Brocker - 1 VP
Kayazy Assassins Underboss - 1 VP
Kayazy Assassins 50% casualties - 1 VP
Steelhead Halberdiers 50% casualties - 1 VP
Steelhead Heavy Cavalry 50% casualties - 1 VP

This marks my first real, genuine victory over Jim. There wasn't even a stage where I was relying on luck to keep my warcaster alive against a concerted assault. I almost broke out the Happy Dance (I spared everyone the sight since I was wearing shorts). No mistakes by either person really except right at the end when Jim exposed the back arc of a woldwarden to eMagnus' bonded Nomad. Since the bond NEVER usually comes into play, the Nomad managed to trash the Woldwarden with that lovely extra Backstab damage die. I have now joined a very exclusive club of eMagnus players. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

The other woldwarden died to a combination Harm, an Obliterator and the other Renegade shredding it to death. Having to roll a 6+ on 3d6 was a bit close, there were an alarming number of 7s rolled but good old Renegade A pulled it out of the bag for me yet again. Two woldwardens in a single turn, I was genuinely surprised. One could say flabberghasted.

Now while this is all impressive sounding, all the casualties that gave me VPs were inflicted on my last turn - which I don't think I would have gotten to take if we were playing in a regular tournament. However I don't think Jim would have taken such a long 2nd turn in a regular tournament either, much pondering was done.

Jim and I were discussing the game afterwards and he came to the conclusion that 750 games against good opponents become something of a grind fest as neither of us put our warcaster/warlock in a risky position at any time. At 500 points you can't cover all your bases and so eventually something gives and then something can swoop in and end things. Something to think on until we give up MKi entirely and switch to MKii games.

No comments:

Post a Comment