Saturday 13 November 2010

The Yellow Brick Road to UK Masters

Though I'm probably speaking too soon (as tickets are not yet available and it is no guarantee I will be able to get one) I'm starting to look at what to take to the UK Masters. I'd like to take my planned pDoomshaper themed list and just hump everyone in a similar fashion as last time. So I was thinking of the following:

Hoarluk Doomshaper, Shaman of the Gnarls
+Mulg the Ancient
+Earthborn Dire Troll
+Troll Axer
+Troll Bouncer
+Pyre Troll
Krielstone Bearer & Stone Scribes (max)
+Stone Scribe Elder
Trollkin Runeshapers x3 (theme bonuses)
Janissa Stonetide
Troll Whelps

Tier Bonuses:
+2" Deployment
KSB starts with 4 Fury
Free 4" wall template within 20" of my table edge

I still need to buy/order Janissa Stonetide, 2 units of Runeshapers and the last two Stone Scribes, but otherwise I have everything - most of it's painted too!

Now, the list is neat, it's fairly simple and I just plan to rock across the board like I did at the previous UK Masters and stomp on anything that gets close enough. The list has a few weaknesses however: it is vulnerable to cheap weapon masters, anti-magic effects hose it, low model count, low range. Its strengths however are: it's a fortress to attack (walls, EBDT animus etc), lots of Steady, mostly high ARM multi-wound infantry, Mulg.

To counter the prospect of meeting serious anti-magic I need to draw up a second list that can romp across the board just as well.  To this end I think I should pick up Borka and a number of faster troop options.  Fennblades, Long Riders and all the extras are all in my collection already, I'm just missing a Dire Troll Bomber, the Fennblade UA and Borka himself.  It's not a themed list but I'll do some testing on some unsuspecting fools and see how it performs.

Things to Gets:
Borka the Kegslayer + Keg Carrier
Dire Troll Bomber
Trollkin Fennblades UA
Trollkin Runeshapers x2
Janissa Stonetide

How I'm going to afford this stuff (or get enough PG points) is still a bit of a mystery but I've got until June to plug away.  Failing all that, I'll just run the UK Masters next year instead...  Ridge Raiders for everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment