Monday 1 June 2015

Back from the Masters

Well that was a very enjoyable UK Games Expo.  I got to play Bushido, speak to some very drunk store owners/distributors, and I met Wayne Reynolds (WAYNE REYNOLDS).  Super cool guy to speak to; I've loved his art ever since I saw the Eberron covers back in 3e D&D.  He even gave me a copy of his Visions of War book, though I'm not 100% sure if he gave everyone who bought prints a copy or whether I got a copy because he liked chatting to me (I did save him from a horde of hardcore MtG people - let us say they did not prioritise hygiene).  Highlight of my weekend really.

Back to Bushido though!  I didn't place too well, having won 2 games, and lost 2 games.  Half my games were entirely down to dice being bad for the losing player, my dice were horrific when I played against Chris Hales (who won the Masters), and Peder Harty's dice were equally as horrific when he played me in the next round.  It wasn't pretty.  Jim came 2nd, which is probably due to me losing to Jason Enos (LEJ) in final round and pushing Jim's strength of schedule up.  I feel like I would have fairly comfortably won my last game if Yatsumata hadn't rolled triple 1's on defence and exploded, but these things happen to everyone and we're playing a game involving pushing around little metal men.  Getting worked up over something like that isn't worth the time.

In the end I chose Yatsumata over Kenzo simply because no one plays Yatsumata, and I regretted it as soon as I played my first game.  The Mizuki warband excels with the Naoko/Kenzo combo since Kenzo can reach a target that has been blinded, Yatsumata cannot most of the time.  So stick with the warband I've actually been playing next time!  Regardless, now that the Masters are over, I think it's time to shelve the Ito Clan for a while, I want to do some play-testing for the Tengu Decension.


So the plan is to move from snakemen to birdmen.  So far I've come up with a few fairly gimmicky warbands that rely heavily on denial and are pretty light on the tribesmen.  There isn't a huge variety of profiles to work with yet, so crafting my normal type of warband (Ki feat heavy, lots of tricks) is fairly difficult.  Testing will commence on Tuesday!

4 comments:

  1. Ooooh, you have some Tengu minis! Jealous.

    Kabocha

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're the tengu miniatures they had in the cabinet, Rogue took them out so that we could take some pictures of them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool, I saw photos of the sculpts at Salute and was impressed. I'd no idea they were this close to production.

    Kabocha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good report there and super fun to see Tengu in the...er flesh, feather, pewter? They´re top fun and feel fresh from my testing

    ReplyDelete