Sunday 20 December 2009

Spy vs Spy


I have just returned from an EPIC game against Jim. I was trying out a pMadrak list against Jim's new pButcher warjack zerg. It also brought into focus the strengths and weaknesses of each system for me.

My pMadrak list was most experimental, I thought I'd test out my new Fennblades, the Stone Scribe Chronicler and pMadrak as compared to my usual eDoomshaper list of Mighty Pwnage. Jim's pButcher Warjack Zerg - it has progressed to the point where it has earned capital letters - swapped out his usual Widowmakers for 2 squads of Mechaniks. While the game was awesome and had a suitable finale - I charged the Butcher with Madrak and left him on 5 damage, then Madrak died - giving a blow by blow account wouldn't convey what was learnt here.

Firstly, Hordes has a vastly higher 'front load' of damage than Warmachine, but once the warbeasts start to drop there is a noticeable decline in performance in the army. I blitzed three of Jim's warjacks in the game - unheard of before - and came close to annihilating the Dreaded Juggernaut (my hatred of the Dreaded Juggernaut is likened to the hatred one has for cold showers) but once my Mauler was gone there wasn't a lot I could do against ARM 20 models and eventually my army sloooowly died.

Initially Jim supported the idea that Hordes was still leagues ahead of Warmachine when comparing heavies, but I like to think our game has shifted his opinion. I'm quite worried about the damage output of a faction like Circle whose heavies are usually quite low in the P+S (usually about 15 for Circle) against a faction like Khador. Of course, perhaps Circle aren't supposed to get into a straight up punching match... Design and development continues!

Madrak Ironhide, Thornwood Chieftain:
Not inspiring. I made a boo-boo with Crusher, but then again against a list comprised almost entirely of warjacks he wasn't the best choice. I never saw the point of casting Stone Fall. All he seemed to do was upkeep Sure Foot and chuck his axe at Khador warjacks. Needs something more fun to happen to him. If we *had* to keep an AoE offensive nuke I'd like to see Eliminator on him instead.

Doomshaper, Shaman of the Gnarls:
Didn't survive long enough to really test him out. I should have used his feat but we'll just have to see through more experience. Seems to requires a way to increase his spell range or hike up his armour.

Trollkin Fennblades:
Awesomesauce. Strangely enough Hard was a factor in the game, seeing as Jim brought with along a Marauder. Snag & Slash was totally useless, I feel we just don't see enough cavalry in the game to bother with the rule. I did have a few problems with having 10 medium bases getting in the way of my warbeasts but maybe I just need more practice. I suspect my opinion of the Fennblades may be skewed by the bajillion Tough checks I succeeded at. I'm going to try replacing my minimum unit of Champions with a maximum unit of Fennblades to see how that works with my Doomshaper (either one) lists.

Stone Scribe Chronicler:
Finally, my first model to have Overpowered in its feedback. Hero's Tragedy is very intimidating to fight against and Tale of the Mists was almost a game winner against Jim's Legion in our 2nd game (or course I made a good 90% of my Tough checks then). With an army of medium bases Hero's Tragedy means we can just swarm a target and if it fights back it's toast next turn (unless our own medium bases get in the way).

The Hordes vs Warmachine debate continues!

Spy vs Spy name and image copyright of some guys who aren't me. Please don't sue me.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment