Monday 6 February 2012

Bigger = Better?

Plenty of spoilers this weekend from TempleCon - namely the big colossals reveal for Warmachine.  My first thought on the reveal was time to give up on the Mercs.  I find the Mercenaries have some serious issues with heavy armour, discovering that there will be heavy armour models with massive damage grids really didn't do it for me.  However, the two fully-painted/assembled colossals we've seen so far look awesome: the Conquest for Khador, and the Stormwall for Cygnar.  We can also see artwork for the Judicator (Protectorate), Kraken (Cryx), Hyperion (Retribution), and the Galleon (Mercenaries).  If you hadn't already guessed, colossals are on the same size base as a battle engine (110mm).

Important spoilers about colossals:

  • Colossals are warjacks
  • They have Reach
  • Colossals have two new power attacks - one is a thresher attack in the left or right arc, the other is a slam that does not require the 3" movement first

Colossals is also the name of the next Warmachine book, which will only have 1 new warcaster for Mercenaries (General Osram, a Rhulic caster); everyone else is getting new epic warcasters.  What we know so far is that eVyros, e2Kreoss, and e2Vlad are all mounted, whilst e2Nemo comes with an assistant, Stormchaser Adept Finch.  I wonder if we'll see e2Magnus...

I will admit to being utterly flabbergasted that Jamie P won the TempleCon Masters, though I will give him my begrudging congratulations.  Personally I was utterly mystified by Will Pagani's choice of pBaldur t4 but I can only shrug, they were the ones at the top tables, I was busying being on the other side of the Atlantic Ocean.  The 3 list/4 round format does interest me however, and it's one that I'd like to utilize in the future for some of my events.

Even with the colossals reveal, I can't help but stare at my Mercenaries and have visions of glory if I got a decent standing with them at the UK Masters this year.  I'd have to buy a ton of infantry models though, something I'm quite resistant to when I could just run my current lists.  And the idea of Magnus running a Galleon... mmmm...  If only he had Incite instead of Calamity.  Actually I'd have to buy too much stuff to bring Mercenaries to the UK Masters - I think I'd run eMagnus (Bad Seeds), Gorten (Highborn), and Damiano (Steelheads) if I had to choose.

Having taken almost 6 months to paint Mulg, I can't even comprehend the amount of time I'm going to need to paint the Trollblood colossal.  It's like some sort of uberMulg.

No comments:

Post a Comment